Thursday, April 26, 2012

Out with the OLD, in with the NEW

We are saying good-bye to our 1996 Honda Accord.  It was my (Amanda's) first car that I actually bought -- or rather, financed, with my own money.   It's been a trooper:



  • 240,000 miles
  • A LOT of hail damage (thank you Colorado weather)
  • A salvage title, due to the above damage (However, I did get $3000 from the insurance co and kept the car.  Nice.)
  • A car alarm that would go off while I was driving it -- and wouldn't stop.  Embarrassing. I sounded like an ambulance. People got out of the way when they heard me coming.  It even kept going after I turned off the car and walked away.
  • One dead deer and a smashed hood 
  • One scared dog (who hit the side of it while I was DRIVING it and dented the door jam. He also pooped on the car while hitting it. Imagine that one.)
  • A few flat tires (and corroded lug nuts -- very difficult to get off.  Imagine 3 girls -- myself, and two friends, all in skirts and heels on the side of the road.  We had a few guys stop and try to help us.)
  • A cross-country trip to New York and back -- I made it without killing myself. I also made it without a GPS.  That's impressive.
  • Tons of friends, tons of road trips.  Good times.
  • Inherited by my wonderful husband who has been driving it the past two years. Thanks sweetie!

So...  we will bid it bon voyage this week, to make room for JD's new-ish 2006 Honda Civic.  He has wanted a manual transmission again ever since he got rid of his Acura Integra 2 years ago.  Well, manuals are hard to find, unless you want a sport-turbo type of car. Which we didn't -- well, I didn't.  He did.  Anyway, JD looked on Craig's list and a nice guy named Derek was selling his Civic.  We headed on over to his house and just to let you know --- I do not allow myself to go onto car lots, look at cars, and certainly not test drive one.  I also prohibit myself from talking to sales-people.  "Why?" you might ask?  Because I can be talked into buying ANYTHING for ANY price.  When we bought the CRV two years ago, I practically begged JD in front of the sale's guy to let me have it.  I am every sales-person's dream.  So, when JD and I went to go check out the Civic, I looked like I had zero personality and zero interest in the car.  I just couldn't show any emotion because I thought the car looked SO cute!  In fact, after JD and Derek negotiated the price right in front of me (awkward!), I told JD later in the car -- "Do you think we should give him some more money?"  Needless to say, JD is happy with his new car!  

No comments:

Post a Comment