Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Rock Hyrax


I don't know much about the rock hyrax, but boy are they cute! I first heard of them in the book, Born Free, which is about a couple who lived on a Wild Game Preserve in Africa in the 60's. The wife, Joy, "adopts" a rock hyrax and names her Pati. JD's favorite "fact" about them -- I loosely say that because we found this "fact" on Wikipedia -- anyway, his favorite fact about the Rock Hyrax is that their closest living relative is the elephant. I have yet to understand that, but there you have it. So... when we were at the San Diego Zoo in November, I saw these two little rock hyraxes cuddled up in their fake tree with a heat lamp on and just fell in love with them. Who wouldn't want one of these? Upon telling a friend of ours about the rock hyrax, he looked it up on his phone -- because let's admit it, not too many people know what one is -- he found the following image. That's a little scary!  I prefer mine at the San Diego Zoo.







No comments:

Post a Comment